Elections 2018


The Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) is pleased to announce that the 2018 update to So You Want to Run for Council will be live at MunicipalEducation.ca by mid to late February, 2018. This course is geared to individuals who are planning to run for a seat on municipal council. In order to get information out to candidates we are seeking your assistance in promoting the course.

About the Course: Current and retired members of council designed “So You Wish to Run for Council?” and it presents the challenges and opportunities candidates will face through the campaign and as sitting members of council. The course content is valuable for anyone running for council, as it not only examines the rules that govern him or her but also brings to light some of the cultural and soft knowledge pieces that influence the lives of members of council. Course content covers:

• Reasons That You Should and Should Not Run for Council;

• What You Should Know Before You Run for Office;

• Dealing with the Media;

• Techniques for Working with Others;

• The Roles of Council Members and Staff;

• What the True Power and Influence of Municipal Government is;

• Transparency and Accountability in Government;

• and much more…

We need your help: As candidates are generally members of the public, we need your help in getting information to them about this course. We have prepared a number of promotional materials that we would appreciate your assistance in disseminating. We will be forwarding a package to you in early to mid-February with flyers and a poster. We hope that you can assist us by providing it to those who register at your office to run for Council. I am also happy to provide both the flyer and the poster in PDF format via e-mail if you require it.

If you also have an online elections site we would appreciate if we could post a link to the training module on your page, we can provide this link as a button, graphic or as a simple html link.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in promoting “So You Wish to Run for Council?”, and if you have any questions about the course please do not hesitate to contact me at ndhaliwal@amo.on.ca or 416.971.9856 ext. 330


1091 Shaw Woods Rd. RR 1
Eganville, Ontario K0J 1T0


Tel: 613.628.2080
Fax: .613.628.3341
613.633.9100 - 613.602.6101/6102


Monday to Friday
8:30Am to 4:30PM

North Algona Wilberforce Township. Copyright 2018